Forget classic cinnamon rolls—these Cardamom Pistachio Rolls are spiced with cardamom and studded with salty pistachios, making them a breakfast treat that’s well worth the effort.
Cardamom Pistachio Rolls
Makes 8 rolls
- ¼ cup (60 grams) warm water (105°F/41°C to 110°F/43°C)
- 2¼ teaspoons (7 grams) active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) plus ½ teaspoon (2 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole milk, room temperature and divided
- 4 tablespoons (60 grams) fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 3½ cups (438 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (84 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (57 grams) finely chopped roasted salted shelled pistachios
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cardamom
- 1 to 1½ teaspoons (1 to 1.5 grams) lemon zest
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, whisk together ¼ cup (60 grams) warm water, yeast, and ½ teaspoon (2 grams) granulated sugar by hand. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup (180 grams) milk, 2 tablespoons (30 grams) lemon juice, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and remaining ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar, whisking to combine.
- With mixer on medium speed, add flour and salt, beating just until dough comes together. Scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat for 4 minutes. Add softened butter, and beat until dough is smooth and pulls away from sides of bowl, about 6 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 1½ to 2 hours.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch dough into a 16×12-inch rectangle using wet hands.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pistachios, melted butter, cinnamon, cardamom, and zest. Spread filling onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Place log, seam side down, on work surface. Trim ½ inch off each end. Cut into 8 rolls, and place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake until light golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, remaining ¼ cup (60 grams) milk, and remaining 2 tablespoons (30 grams) lemon juice until combined. Place in a resealable plastic bag. Cut corner from bag, and drizzle icing onto rolls.
Keep your hands wet when stretching dough. This keeps dough from sticking and also keeps you from adding additional flour. Brush any additional flour off dough with a dry pastry brush as you are rolling.